Vacancy: Director of Finance and Operations
Following the decision of the current postholder to retire in the Spring 2021, we are seeking to appoint a new Director of Finance and Operations.
Martin Doidge, Director of Finance, was originally appointed to the post of Director of Support at Cirencester Deer Park School in 2003. This was an innovative post at a time of school workforce reform, and he fulfilled a critical leadership role combining finance with other administrative functions. Over the last 18 years, Martin has made a significant contribution to the development of the school and, more recently, he has been instrumental in the inception and growth of The Corinium Education Trust.
When Martin first joined the team at Deer Park, he had no experience of working in education. However, as a qualified accountant, he was able to bring the wealth of his experience in transport to the team and very quickly accrued the knowledge and skills required to operate effectively in the education sector. Martin established himself as a leader in this field; he has contributed to the training and development of School Business Managers and was first an Executive Member, and then Chair of, the local network, the Gloucestershire Association of School Business Managers.
‘I have loved working at Cirencester Deer Park School, and latterly The Corinium Education Trust, and I would not have stayed for 18 years if there wasn’t always something new to deal with and provide a challenge. I am very proud of what we have achieved here, but there is still plenty to do to provide a continuing challenge for my successor. I am sure he or she will enjoy the role every bit as much as I have.’ Martin Doidge.
Chiquita Henson, Chief Executive, will be working closely with Trustees to recruit Martin’s replacement: ‘While we are looking for an experienced strategic financial leader and qualified accountant to manage operations and help us move The Corinium Education Trust into and through the next phase of our growth and development, we also want to make sure there is sufficient variety and challenge in the role to motivate, interest and engage our new postholder!’
While The Corinium Education Trust is a relatively new and small multi-academy trust in the South Cotswolds in Gloucestershire, we are an ambitious organisation. The Trust is currently made up of one secondary and three local primary schools. We also have DfE approval to open a new 3 form entry presumption free school on a new housing development in Cirencester within the next five years.
A key objective of The Corinium Education Trust is to undertake considered expansion over the next five years, growing to 7-10 schools. Therefore, we are looking for someone who:
- shares our values and is committed to making The Corinium Education Trust as effective as it can be for the children, families and staff we serve;
- is capable of the delivery of timely and sustainable central services to our schools and ensuring these are of a high standard;
- will realise the efficiencies arising from four schools working collaboratively within the Trust and find new opportunities to bring more funds into the Trust.
This is an exciting time to join The Corinium Education Trust. We hope that suitably qualified and experienced candidates will consider furthering their careers with us and take the opportunity to join us on our journey and, as the successful applicant develops in his/her role, he/she will contribute to our future development and help us improve the learning and life chances of our children and young people. In return we offer:
- A community of like-minded professionals committed to working collaboratively in the best interests of our pupils and to bring about school improvement;
- The opportunity to engage in MAT-wide teams and contribute to shaping our future. An induction programme for new staff and support to help you develop as a leader;
- Cross-phase research and evidence-based continuing professional development;
- Access to InCET, our virtual staff room that enables teachers and leaders across The Corinium Education Trust to engage in professional discussion, moderate and liaise with each other;
- Talent identification and comprehensive skills development;
- Career progression and the opportunity to develop further as teachers and/or leaders in one or more of our schools over time.